Friday, January 1, 2010

Suddenly I see

I was reading an article in a magazine recently about actress Meredith Baxter, who starred on the show Family Ties in the 80s. I had never seen the show, and I didn't really know who she was, but the article seemed like it would be very thesbian-centric, so I read it. The article interviewed Baxter who, now in her 60s, is finally coming out publically as a lesbian. What I find particularly interesting is not the fact that she is coming out so late in life, but the way she describes her self-realization. The magazine that interviews her (People) states that, after three failed (straight) marriages, Baxter

compares her realization about being gay to what happened in seventh grade when, after years of blurry vision, she put on a friend's eyeglasses. "I almost started to cry. I could see indiviual leaves on trees that I thought were just lollipops. I just didn't know that was the way things looked," she recalls. "That was kind of the way it was for me the first time I was with a woman: It was like, 'Okay, I get it.'"


Sound familiar? One of the main characters on Grey's Anatomy used the same analogy last season, I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB3LK_Qh_dU

I can see the study now - "Eye problems linked to lesbianism, everyone's mothers push for free eye care." Truly though, I wonder how people would go about describing their personal revelations...

1 comment: