Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm not going to write you a love song

In years past, L and I used to celebrate Valentine's Day by binging on junk food and watching the most unromantic-romantic film we could think of. Sound like an oxy moron? Think My Best Friend's Wedding...yeah, that's pretty much all we could really think of too. We were looking for something where the heroine doesn't find love in the end. We could debate that Julia Roberts still gets a happy ending, but the point is, it wasn't a romantic one. Eventually, we discovered the horror film Valentine, and made that the annual movie. What love cynics. Alright, so now I've got a fair dose of Charlotte in me, but still - unless by V-Day you mean something that starts with V and ends in agina Monologues, I'm not quite a fan.

Anyway, in recent years, L has a acquired a boyfriend. Thus, she has left the "We Hate Valentine's Day" club, and I'm looking for recruits. Juuuuust kidding. But for those of you who do have a major hate-on for the supposed day of love, feel free to add to this list of songs below. My friend A and I are compiling a list of The Most Depressing Songs Ever. You know, for funsies.

-Mad World (Gary Jules and Michael Andrews) Sample Depressing Lyric: "And I find it kind of funny/I find it kind of sad/The dreams in which I'm dyin'/Are the best I've ever had."
-The End of the World (Skeeter Davis) SDL: "Why does my heart go on beating?/Why do these eyes of mine cry?/Don't they know it's the end of the world./It ended when you said goodbye."
-I Can't Make You Love Me (Bonnie Raitt) SDL: "Here in the dark, in these final hours/I will lay down my heart/and I'll feel the power/But you won't, no you won't."
-Sometime Around Midnight (The Airborne Toxic Event) SDL: The whole effing song, amirite?
-Somebody Kill Me (Adam Sandler) SDL: "I'm on my knees, pretty pretty please kill me. I want to die. Put a bullet in my head." Drew Barrymore: "I liked it." Ahahaha.
-The Blower's Daughter (Damien Rice) This one isn't so depressing in words as it is in tone.
-This Year's Love (David Gray) SDL: "This year's love had better last." Something about your heart being torn, trust issues, blah blah blah. It's a bit happy at the end but the tone is a sady, just like Blower's Daughter.
-I Will Follow You into the Dark (Death Cab for Cutie) This one's sad in a "omg we gonna die! but I love you so much! but we still gonna die!" sorta way. Like, it's not depressing...uh oh. Maybe I'll have to alter the list. But you know what I mean? "If there's no one beside you/When your soul embarks/Then I'll follow you into the dark." Makes ya want to shed a little tear, hey? No? Just me? Alright then.

Anyway I give up. Just trust me - they're broody.

-You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Dusty Springfield)
-Say it to Me Now (Glen Hansard in 'Once')
-Hold On (Good Charlotte)
-Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell/Judy Collins)
-Somedays (Regina Spektor)
-Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright)

Happy V-Day!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment