Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Never been a sinner, I never sinned. I got a friend in Jesus

I've been thinking about religion a bit again. It seems to keep coming up, especially in discussions concerning school board applications. If I teach, many people try to assure me that teaching for a Catholic board wouldn't have to be "that bad." And it wouldn't be - if you're alright with living in the closet for the rest of your life. Hmm, let me think about that...

It's a shame that living in any way - yes, this means you, non-married-but-co-habitating-breeders - that does not adhere to Catholic doctrine could see you reprimanded, or possibly fired. I agree with the basic "love your fellow (wo)man" principles of Catholicism, and I'm fairly well-versed in things of a biblical nature, so teaching at a Catholic school - if teaching is all we're focusing on, as it should be - wouldn't be hard at all. Too bad their views on sexual diversity are so limiting. Growing up I somehow always thought I'd be teaching at my old elementary school...

I know what you're thinking, dear reader (holla at my one reader!) - where oh where is there a thesbian aspect to this heavy-toned post? Riiiiight...here:

The drama kids at my high school basically had two options - sing and be in the musicals, or wait until some religious mini-production came around and be in that. Seeing as how I can barely sing "Happy Birthday," I opted for the religious plays. The two that I remember were called "Three Trees" and "Stations of the Cross" (but who's heard of that rite?!). The first was about how Jesus had a life-long connection with trees (you're shocked, I know), the second was just a looooong dramatization of the Stations of the cross. In both cases I was the Virgin Mary. Typecast!! But she was the leading lady so what did I care, ya know? In one or both of the cases, I can't remember now, the young man playing Jesus turned out to be A Gay, too. "Jesus" and "Mary" were gay. And are now made to feel unwelcome within the church in which they grew up. There I go making it heavy again. Woopsy daisy! Alright just watch this, it'll set your heart a-flutter and make you believe in love and unicorns and stuff again.

No comments:

Post a Comment