Sunday, April 4, 2010

I wish I was a lesbian and not a hetero: Part 2


M recently sent me the above picture she found on the ever-so-popular website for PostSecret, and it spurred on our Thesbian Indignation. Why is being thought a thesbian/some form of the LGBTQ community somehow still the worst possible insult? How pathetic is it that it is still up there with being considered stupid? It's not just this random secret-sharer, either; I have heard from people in teacher's college and my own friends how annoying it is when people think they are thesbians. To which I ask: have you ever told someone you were, in fact, a thesbian, when they assumed you were straight? Do you ever fear reactions when you come out as straight? And why does it bother you so much, being thought a thesbian, unless of course it directly infringes upon you meeting men of your persuasion?

Does it have to do with stereotypes? Because even I have caught myself buying into the thesbian stereotype crap. Heading out the door today, I very nearly didn't wear my pageboy hat because, while also wearing my aviators, I was worried I looked "too much like a thesbian." To which I immediately shook my head and said "seriously, self - who cares??" I am a thesbian, and stereotypes or not, one should not care how they look, or what kind of activities might make them seem a certain way, because guess what? Thesbians and non-thesbians all. have. things. in common. Ca-raaazy.

What I am asking for is not the assumption that I am gay, and not assumptions that straight people are straight. Let's not assume either way, and wonder at the ever-so-slightly fewer awkward/annoyed moments there are in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment