Monday, February 7, 2011

Dressed up like you're something else

Ties! I sometimes love wearing ties. Though momentarily popularized by Canadian chanteuse April The Vineyard, it has been a thesbian staple for years. Yeeeears and years and years. Well at least a couple of decades.

HELL YEAH THAT'S AN ASCOT, TONY BENNETT LOVES EM

DREAMBOAT TO 92.5% OF THE FEMALE POPULATION, NBD

So while I wouldn't say ties are strictly thesbian when worn by a woman, they certainly seem to help in getting less male attention while at a bar or club.

OR SO I THOUGHT

This is a tale of geographics, and fashions, and perhaps drunken patrons who just wanna get some. This is a tale of Canadian Boys versus English Boys.

In Canada, like I said - if I were to patronize a typical straight club (ie any club that is not specifically deemed gay, queer, thesbionic etc etc), I seem to get so very little male attention when I wear my button down shirt, my nerdy glasses, and my tie. The most I've ever gotten I think was a "hey dude, nice tie!" Perhaps a high five to follow it up. But basically, whether it was my intention or not, guys haven't paid much attention to me unless I follow a more traditionally feminine dress code.

When I went out to a fun little bar for my friend's friend's birthday party last weekend, however, this was not the case. I was chatted up/danced on by not one but two boys. On my way home, two different boys kissed me when they stepped off of the subway.

Thus I have concluded that at home, boys mainly see girls in ties and think "thesbian," while guys here think "quirky straight girl with an off-beat fashion sense." That, or they're too drunk to care. I will keep wearing my tie to collect this scientific data.

QUIRKY STRAIGHT FASHIONS

No comments:

Post a Comment