Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I wish I was a lesbian, and not a hetero

I witnessed a very thesbionic production last Friday, entitled "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding." It had me laughing allll the way home. One of the best aspects of the show was it's meta quality. For example, the invisible theatrical spaces were oftentimes ignored, and the narrator interrupts his younger self when it comes time for him to have a girlfriend. And of course, musical numbers like "Don't Take Your Lesbian Moms to Hooters" and "You Don't Need a Penis" speak for themselves. There is even a song entitled "Feelings Are Important," which is all about lesbians and their perpertual love of processing. Brilliant.

What I found particularly interesting, however, was the song/general interlude entitled "A Short History of Gay Marriage in Canada," because I didn't know half of the information the interlude addressed. Like, Pierre Trudeau - you're pretty alright (revelation of the century, I know. But I mean in the context of how he decriminalized homosexuality in the Criminal Code in 1969. They don't teach you that in high school history).

All in all the show provided for a funny, uplifting evening. I'd see it again if I wasn't so broke. I hope it gets picked up by Broadway, though I'm wondering if they'd have to change it to make it more relevant to American audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment